Monday, June 8, 2009

Let the Habitat Journey Begin!

On Tuesday, I met with my family partners, Paula and Lori, thus officially starting my Habitat process. They both seem like wonderful people that are really going to help me out a lot through everything. They are going to act as a middle man between me and Habitat, answer any questions I have, and just to be there for overall support through this process, in everything from encouragement to helping me with my sweat equity hours if I need any help. I feel truely blessed to have them for my partners, as we really "clicked" when we met, and they have a good understanding and compassion for my role as a single, working mom. I can't wait to really get to know them and have our friendship grow through this... Today I dropped off my first payment towards my escrow, so its really starting to seem like this is really happening. I have to complete 200 hours of "sweat equity" before they can assign me a lot, go over building plans with me, and start building. Then I have to complete 300 before I can move in. I haven't been ok'd for a week yet, but I've already got 3 hours towards it! Doesn't seem like much, but I guess once I really start going, it will go super fast. Now the encouraging/exciting news: The main coordinator didn't want me to get too excited about this, but she said that if I get my first 200 in so they can designate me a place, they could start building my house as early as October! She then went on to say that if I keep up the pace with my remaining 300 hours, it isn't completely unreasonable to think that by this time next year, I could be moving into my new house!! I'm getting so excited and I have even started watching YouTube videos to learn how to do a bunch of "do-it-myself" type things. I've been wonderfully overwhelmed with so many people wanting to know what they can do, and how they can help me, and for that I feel so much more blessed in this. Knowing that I have so much support in this, and knowing that other people want this for me as much as I want it myself, is really humbling. So, for those of you that want to help, just let me know, and also what you want to be involved with and when you are able to. I'm just grateful for any help right now, but once the building process starts, I'm going to need all the help and special talents I can get!
I think that about sums it up for the day... Hurray on my first "real" blog! =) Now, lets see if I can keep it up!!
Love and Prayers,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment